By Werner Willis
SN Paper Lithograph Edition of 400 size 23 1/4″ X 18 1/2″
Open Edition Paper size 11″ X 9″
Between 1891 and 1910, Latta Park in Charlotte, North Carolina was the place to go and be seen. It was developed by Edward Dilworth Latta and the Charlotte Consolidated Construction Company to lure the city inhabitants to the first suburb of Dilworth. The ninety-acre amusement complex surrounded the cool, sparking water of Forsyth Lake. Latta Park had a pavilion, theater, arcade, horserace tracks, baseball grandstand, bowling alley, and boathouse.
Here, the University of North Carolina and Davidson College clashed in championship football games, and Buffalo Bill Cody brought the “Wild West” to Charlotte. Fashionable men and elegant ladies strolled through the park on lazy afternoons. At the end of the trolley track, Latta Park became the destination for many Charlotteans.